This tutorial is going to show you how to move a Drupal website from one domain to another.
For instance, our Drupal site is currently working at www.template-test.com/drupal and it needs to be moved to another domain at www.templatetesting.com/drupal. Here are the steps to follow:
- Log into the phpMyAdmin through the hosting Control Panel of your first site www.template-test.com/drupal and export the database. Save it as a .zip/.sql file on your computer.
- Move all your site files to a separate folder on your computer. In this example we are going to backup the content of the /drupal/ directory on our FTP. If your hosting Control Panel has a FileManager with the ability to archive the content, first archive it, then download and save it as a .zip file to your computer.
- You should now have one folder with the backup copy of your Drupal site files and another .sql or .zip file of the database.
- Log into the phpMyAdmin through the hosting Control Panel of your other site www.templatetesting.com/drupal and create a new database.
- Copy the name, the username and the password of the new database out for future reference.
- Open the new database you have just created through phpMyAdmin and import the database dump file exported from the old site into your new database.
- Upload the backup Drupal files to the directory or sub-directory on your new domain i.e in the case with www.templatetesting.com/drupal its a /drupal/ subfolder.
- Go to the \sites\default directory on your new domain and open the settings.php file to edit (you can just download the file on your computer and open in any simple text editor like Notepad and upload it back once the changes are saved)
- You need to change the old info in lines 208 – 214 of that file with the corresponding info for the new database (step 5 of this tutorial):
- Save the changes to the file (or upload it back if you were editing it on your computer) and open the url address of the new drupal site, i.e. www.templatetesting.com/drupal. If you have done everything correctly, you should see the site looking the same as on your old domain.
'database' => ‘your_database_name’, 'username' => ‘your_user_name’, 'password' => ‘your_database_password’, 'host' => ‘your_host_name’,
Feel free to check the detailed video tutorial below: