This tutorial shows how to manually install static blocks in Magento store.
The easiest way to configure all static blocks is to install the Magento template sample data. You can see how to do this checking the detailed video tutorials How to install Magento 1.6 template and theme sample data and how to import sample data SQL file
In case you are installing the template over the live store or you just don’t want to install template sample data you need to configure the static blocks manually.
If you don’t have the .html and .xml files for the static blocks in the template package please use the dump.minimal.gz file for blocks installation
- Open the template package and go to the ‘sources/demo/staic_blocks‘ directory. There you should see the .html and .xml files.
- Open Magento admin panel and go to ‘CMS > Static Blocks‘.
- Click ‘Add New Block‘ button in the top right corner
- Switch to the ‘Content‘ tab
- In the template package open the ‘documentation‘ and open the template_instructions.html file in your browser.
- Go to the ‘Static blocks configuration‘ section. There you should see the table with the static blocks info. If the table is blank you don’t have any static blocks used in the template.
- Input the block title and identifier. You can get the correct values from the static blocks table in the readme file.
- Copy the code from the appropriate .html file and paste it into the ‘Content‘ area.
- When you are done click ‘Save Block‘ button.