This tutorial shows how to enable and use SEO URLs in osCommerce.
In order to enable SEO URLs, log into your admin panel and follow the steps below:
Go to Configuration => Seo Urls 5 (the name may differ within osCommerce versions);
Choose Enable SEO URLs 5? and click edit:
Select true and click Save:
Using SEO URLs you can manage its settings in the tabs inside Configuration => Seo Urls 5 just by clicking edit on the function you want to set:
- Enable the cache? Here you can turn the cache system on/off.
- Enable multi language support? Choose true to turn it on or false to turn it off.
- Output W3C valid URLs? This setting will output W3C valid URLs.
- Select your chosen cache system? Choose from the 4 available caching strategies: mysql, file, sqlite, memcache.
- Set the number of days to store the cache. Set the number of days you wish to retain cached data, after this the cache will auto reset.
- Choose the url format. Choose USU5 URL format: standard, path_standard, rewrite, path_rewrite.
- Choose how your product link text is made up. Product link text can be made up of:
p = product name
c = category name
b = manufacturer (brand)
m = model
e.g. bp (brand/product)
- Filter Short Words. This setting will filter words.
1 = Remove words of 1 letter
2 = Remove words of 2 letters or less
3 = Remove words of 3 letters or less
- Add category parent to beginning of category URLs? This setting will add the category parent name to the beginning of the category URLs (i.e. – parent-category-c-1.html).
- Remove all non-alphanumeric characters? This will remove all non-letters and non-numbers. If your language has special characters, then you will need to use the character conversion system.
- Add cPath to product URLs? This setting will append the cPath to the end of product URLs (i.e. – some-product-p-1.html?cPath=xx).
- Enter special character conversions (It is better to use the file based character conversions). This setting will convert characters. The format MUST be in the form: char=>conv,char2=>conv2
- Set performance reporting to true/false. Performance reporting should not be turned ON on a live site. It is for reporting performance and queries and shows at the bottom of your site.
- Turn variable reporting on true/false. Variable reporting should not be turned ON on a live site. It is for reporting the contents of USU classes and shows unformatted at the bottom of your site.
- Force www.mysite.com/ when www.mysite.com/index.php. Choose true to turn it on or false to turn it off.
- Reset USU5 Cache. This will reset the cache data for USU5.
Do not forget to Save the changes you have made.
Feel free to check the detailed video tutorial below: