Prestashop Guide. Preparations
The first and the most important things you need to start your website is web hosting and domain name.
- Hosting is an offer that allows you to run your website on the internet. In a few words it’s a place for your website files on a computer permanently connected to the internet (server).
- Domain name is a name for your future website like info.template-help.com, google.com etc.
There is a huge amount of domain and hosting offers over the internet from different hosting companies. Unfortunately the web hosting market has various fraud offers that can harm your business. We recommend you to be careful in choosing a hosting provider and gather as much information as possible before ordering.
Before you can start setting up your Prestashop website please make sure that you and your hosting server is fully prepared for Prestashop.
1. Hosting requirements
Open the Prestashop official website at Prestashopcommerce.com and check the Prestashop system requirements. These are the list of features and requirements that your hosting server should fit. We recommend you to contact your hosting provider to learn if you can host Prestashop on their hosting server.
Some hosting companies offer automatic Prestashop engine installation from the hosting control panel. You can use this option in case the offered Prestashop version fits the Prestashop template requirements
2. Software requirements
If your template would be customized by the third party developer or you are willing to order the template installation from templatetuning.com you can skip this step.
Otherwise, if you are willing to customize the template yourself please make sure you have all required programs installed on your computer. You can check the template preview page to see the template software requirements. Usually you need the following programs to edit the template:
The first application you need is a archive manager, the software that can extract the files from the password protected template package.
- If you are on MAC you can use StuffitExpander software.
- If you are on Windows you can use WinZip software.
Both archive managers have free trial versions available for download so you can use them.
- Adobe Photoshop – to edit images
- Adobe Flash – in case your template has flash animation and you want to edit it
Note that the above Adobe applications are required for the template customization, in other words you need them if you want to change the template design, layout and functionality. If you are fine with the template and want only to install it and change content you don’t need any specific software.
You may also need the FTP manager to upload the files to your hosting server (in case your hosting control panel doesn’t have any). You can use any FTP manager like FileZilla, CuteFTP, TotalCommander etc
Prestashop Guide. Downloading
When you are done with the preparations you can start downloading the Prestashop engine and Prestashop template files to your computer.
Download correct Prestashop engine version
At the template preview page, in the requirements section you can see the required Prestashop version. Please make sure you are downloading the correct one.
Please check the following detailed video tutorial:
Download Prestashop template
After the template purchase you got an e-mail with the link to the purchase details page. There you can see your order details and download the template using the Download button.
The template is provided as a ZIP file. Download it to your computer and save it.
PrestaShop Guide. Extracting
When you are done with the downloading you need to extract the files from the engine and template packages
To extract the files from the Prestashop engine ZIP package you can use any archive manager that can handle ZIP archives.
As for the template ZIP package, the situation is a bit different. The template package contains the password protected sources_XXXX.zip file. It countains the template source files and could be extracted only WinZip or StuffitExpander.
The following tutorials will show you how to extract files on Windows(WinZip) and MAC(StuffitExpander).
PrestaShop Guide. Uploading
Upload PrestaShop engine files
After extracting the files you need to upload the PrestaShop engine files and folders to your hosting server. The extracted PrestaShop engine files looks as follows:
- other directories…
- …other files
All these files and folders should be uploaded to your hosting server.
If your hosting control panel has the built-in FTP manager that is able to extract files directly on the server you can upload the engine package as a single ZIP file and then extract it to the necessary folder.
The engine files should be uploaded to the PUBLIC_HTML or WWW directory on your server.
If you don’t see PUBLIC_HTML or WWW directories on your hosting server please contact your hosting and specify where to upload the website files.
PrestaShop Guide. Engine Installation
When you are done uploading all engine files to your hosting server you can start the PrestaShop installation procedure. It is easy, just open your browser and in the address bar type your domain name. Please follow the detailed video tutorial below:
- PrestaShop 1.6.x. How to install a module via FTP or cPanel
- PrestaShop 1.6.x. How to install the template to PrestaShop Cloud hosting
- PrestaShop 1.6.x. How to install PrestaShop engine and template on localhost
- PrestaShop 1.6.x. How to change database tables prefix (if necessary) and import SQL file
- PrestaShop 1.6.x. How to move website from sub-directory to the root folder
- PrestaShop 1.6.x. How to install template with sample data using sample data installer
- PrestaShop 1.6.x. How to install and configure template over the existing store (starting from Prestashop 18.104.22.168)
- PrestaShop 1.5.x. How to move your website from one domain to another
- PrestaShop 1.5.x. How to install template using “Export\Import a theme” module
- PrestaShop. How to install Prestashop 1.5 engine
- PrestaShop 1.5.x. How to install PrestaShop engine and template on localhost
- Prestashop. Update version 1.4.3 to 1.4.4
- PrestaShop 1.6.x. How to install the PrestaShop engine
PrestaShop Guide. Theme Installation
When the engine installation is complete you can install the PrestaShop template.
To install PrestaShop template you need to upload theme folder content from the template package to the PrestaShop root directory on your server. When the upload is complete you can activate the template from the PrestaShop admin panel. Please check the detailed video tutorial below:
PrestaShop Guide. Sample Data Installation
To make your template appear as at the preview or live demo page you need to install the template sample data. Sample data contains the website settings, sample products, modules, menus, images etc. It is useful when you want to see the template functionality or the examples of the pages design and layout.
PrestaShop templates are provided with the SQL file that contains all website sample content(except the images) and sample website settings. The SQL file should be imported into your database using your database management tool (usually phpMyAdmin).