WordPress Guide. Preparations
The first and the most important things you need to start your website is web hosting and domain name.
- Hosting is an offer that allows you to run your website on the internet. In a few words it’s a place for your website files on a computer permanently connected to the internet (server).
- Domain name is a name for your future website like info.template-help.com, google.com etc.
There is a huge amount of domain and hosting offers over the internet from different hosting companies. Unfortunately the web hosting market has various fraud offers that can harm your business. We recommend you to be careful in choosing a hosting provider and gather as much information as possible before ordering.
Before you can start setting up your WordPress website please make sure that you and your hosting server is fully prepared for WordPress.
1. Hosting requirements
Open the WordPress official website at wordpress.org and check the WordPress requirements. These are the list of features and requirements that your hosting server should fit. We recommend you to contact your hosting provider to learn if you can host WordPress on their hosting server.
Some hosting companies offer automatic WordPress engine installation from the hosting control panel. You can use this option in case the offered wordPress version fits the WordPress template requirements
2. Software requirements
If your template would be customized by the third party developer or you are willing to order the template installation from templatetuning.com you can skip this step.
Otherwise, if you are willing to customize the template yourself please make sure you have all required programs installed on your computer. You can check the template preview page to see the template software requirements. Usually you need the following programs to edit the template:
The first application you need is a archive manager, the software that can extract the files from the password protected template package.
- If you are on MAC you can use StuffitExpander software.
- If you are on Windows you can use WinZipsoftware.
Both archive managers have free trial versions available for download so you can use them.
- Adobe Photoshop – to edit images
- Adobe Flash – in case your template has flash animation and you want to edit it
Note that the above Adobe applications are required for the template customization, in other words you need them if you want to change the template design, layout and functionality. If you are fine with the template and want only to install it and change content you don’t need any specific software.
You may also need the FTP manager to upload the files to your hosting server (in case your hosting control panel doesn’t have any). You can use any FTP manager like FileZilla, CuteFTP, TotalCommander etc
WordPress Guide. Downloading
When you are done with the preparations you can start downloading the WordPress engine and WordPress template files to your computer.
Download correct WordPress engine version
At the template preview page, in the requirements section you can see the required WordPress version. Please make sure you are downloading the correct one.
There are two download options available: you can download WordPress engine as ZIP file and .TAR.GZ file. We recommend you to download in ZIP format.
Download WordPress template
After the template purchase you got an e-mail with the link to the purchase details page. There you can see your order details and download the template using the Download button.
The template is provided as a ZIP file. Download it to your computer and save it.
WordPress Guide. Extracting
When you are done with the downloading you need to extract the files from the engine and template packages
To extract the files from the WordPress engine ZIP package you can use any archive manager that can handle ZIP archives.
As for the template ZIP package, the situation is a bit different. The template package contains the password protected sources_XXXX.zip file. It countains the template source files and could be extracted only WinZip or StuffitExpander.
WordPress Guide. Uploading engine
After extracting the files you need to upload the WordPress engine files and folders to your hosting server. The extracted WordPress engine files looks as follows:
- …other files
All these files and folders should be uploaded to your hosting server.
If your hosting control panel has the built-in FTP manager that is able to extract files directly on the server you can upload the engine package as a single ZIP file and then extract it to the necessary folder.
The engine files should be uploaded to the PUBLIC_HTML or WWW directory on your server.
If you don’t see PUBLIC_HTML or WWW directories on your hosting server please contact your hosting and specify where to upload the website files
Please check the following tutorial on how to upload files to server:
WordPress guide. Engine installation
When you are done uploading all template and engine files to your hosting server you can start the installation procedure.
Please decide if you want to install the template sample data (make the template appear as at the preview page). If you want to install the sample data please refer to the next step and check if the sample data should be installed before or after the engine installation.
- WordPress. How to reinstall the engine without reuploading the files
- WordPress. How to move site from localhost to the live server
- WordPress. How to update Cherry Framework and Cherry plugin manually
- WordPress. How to export Cherry Framework theme data via Cherry Plugin
- WordPress. How to install Cherry Framework theme sample data via Cherry plugin
- Jigoshop. How to install Jigoshop plugin
- WordPress. How to install the engine to Just Host server (manual installation)
- WordPress. How to install the engine to HostGator server (manual installation)
- WordPress. How to install the engine to SiteGround server (manual installation)
- WordPress. How to install the engine to Bluehost server (manual installation)
- WordPress Cherry. How to install Shop Beginners Kit
- WordPress. How to install Cherry Framework theme sample data manually
- WordPress. How to move your website from one domain to another
- WordPress. How to install Cherry framework template
- WordPress. How to change database tables prefix (if necessary) and import SQL file
- How to optimize WP 2.1 for WP 2.0.x
WordPress Guide. Template installation
When the engine installation is complete you can install the WordPress template.
There are 2 ways of the WordPress theme installation: manual upload and installing through the WordPress admin panel.
In first case you should use the FTP manager and upload the template files from the template package to your hosting server. In the second case you can use the WordPress admin panel to upload the theme.
WordPress Guide. Sample data installation
To make your template appear as at the preview or live demo page you need to install the template sample data. Sample data contains the website settings, sample posts, pages, menus, images etc. It is useful when you want to see the template functionality or the examples of the pages design and layout.
Installing template sample data will remove your existing website content if you have any we do not recommend to install the template sample data over your existing website. Use it only with the clear WordPress installation.
WordPress templates are provided with the SQL file that contains all website sample content (except the images) and sample website settings. The SQL file should be imported into your database after some modifications.
Please check the following detailed tutorial on how to install the WordPress sample data: